Friday, February 3, 2012

What COULD It Be???

Friday is my Fresh Picks delivery day.  I'm always excited to open the bin and find some unusual fruit or veggie along with lots of my normal favorites.  But today I found the most unusual looking food I've seen in, well, a very, very long time.

Fractal and Fibonacci?

What could this thing be?  I have NEVER seen anything like it before.  Is it from this planet?  Is it real?  How the heck do I find out?  Being a clever consumer I finally thought of looking at the packing list.  The only item on the list that didn't check out was something called Broccoli Romanescu.  I was still perplexed.  So I did what anyone else would do and checked Wikipedia where I learned:

"Romanesco broccoli resembles a cauliflower, but is of a light green color and the inflorescence (the bud) has an approximate self-similar character, with the branched meristems making a logarithmic spiral. In this sense the broccoli's shape approximates a natural fractal; each bud is composed of a series of smaller buds, all arranged in yet another logarithmic spiral. This self-similar pattern continues at several smaller levels.
The vegetable is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, and carotenoids."

I think I have to show it to people before I actually eat it.  If anyone has an idea what to do with this please let me know.   I'll let you know in the next day or two what I do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment