Saturday, February 25, 2012

Raw Roasting Addiction

I admit that I absolutely love roasted vegetables of all kinds.  And I also have to admit that in the middle of winter, I want some warm food.  So, I had to figure out a way to get both. 

Luckily, a few weeks ago, Fresh Picks delivered some beautiful Brussel sprouts.  These are a favorite winter food and the idea of eating them raw just wasn't very appealing.  So, I started playing.  (In these pictures I used 2 lbs. of Brussel sprouts so it looks like a lot.  The amounts for the marinade are correct for 1 lb. of Brussel sprouts.  You can easily double the recipe if you want.)

Step 1

Step 1.   For 1 lb. Brussel sprouts remove outer leaves.  Rinse, drain and slice thin.

Step 2

Step 2.  Thoroughly mix 1/3 Cup olive oil and 
1/3 Cup nama shoyu (raw soy sauce) OR 1/3 Cup coconut aminos.
Add seasoning if you like.  I added 1 Tbsp. of Italian Seasoning.

Add to the Brussel sprouts.  Stir to coat.

Step 3

Step 3.  Place into a glass casserole or large glass bowl.







Step 4












Step 4.  Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8 hours.  Stir a few times to make sure all are coated.





After 8 hours the Brussel sprouts will look and taste like they've been roasted in the oven.  Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for later.  I didn't get a picture because I couldn't stop eating them long enough to get my camera.  They're great just coming out of the dehydrator or cold by themselves or tossed into a salad.

I've made this 3 consecutive weeks now and will get another batch started tomorrow.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.  Easy, delicious and versatile as a side dish.

2 comments:

  1. They sound great. I agree, roasted is a great way to eat veggies. This method sounds like a good way to get the benefits of raw and the sensation of roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a new batch and will bring you some on Monday.

      Delete