Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Really? Raw Apple Pie? Yes, Really!


I'm not really a dessert person although I've been known to indulge a bit too much sometimes - okay lots of times.  Okay, maybe I'm a dessert person after all.   My question was how to make something that was delicious, raw, simple to make, and appreciated by those in my life who prefer a cooked, carnivorous meal.  I stumbled on Any Phyo's video and have made this several times now.  The recipe fits all of my criteria and everyone has loved it.  Enjoy!

 
             


Ingredients

    Almond Pie Crust

    • 2 cups almonds, dry
    • 1 teaspoon sea salt
    • 2 cups pitted dates

    Syrup

    • ½ cup pitted dates
    • 1 oranges, peeled and seeded
    • water, as needed

    Filling

    • 5 cups apples, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced, about 5-6 apples
    • 1 cup raisins or cranberries
    • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Directions

1. To make crust, pulse almonds and salt in food processor until nuts are in small pieces. You want your crust to have chunks of almonds in it, so don't overprocess. Use some of the finer powder to "flour" the bottom of your pie dish.  Slowly add dates into processor in small batches to mix with almond bits. The dates will bind the almonds to form a dough. Press dough into the bottom of "floured" pie pan. Set aside.

2. To make syrup, place orange into your blender first. Then add dates and blend. If needed, add small amounts of water to help everything mix well (I haven't "needed" this, but like to add the water to make more volume of the syrup). Set aside.

3. To make filling, place sliced apples in a large bowl with raisins. Toss with cinnamon and syrup. Spoon filling into pie crust.

Will keep for two days in the fridge.

For 16 servings, per serving: calories 230, protein 5g, carbs 39g, fat 8g, sugar 21g.

Recipe from Ani Phyo's "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen"
 

2 comments:

  1. I liked the raw apple pie you made when I was home for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did. I think your girlfriends liked it, too. I loved eating the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. :)

      Delete