Saturday, December 24, 2011

OMG Cheesecake!

So on my first day off for the holiday break (yes, my employer is closed for 11 days during the holidays) I went to the office to work.  Amanda joined me so she could get some work done on her thesis.  Seven hours later we both felt good about accomplishing so much and decided to go to Borrowed Earth Cafe for lunch/dinner (lunner?).  Borrowed Earth is a raw, vegan restaurant in Downers Grove.  I've eaten there a number of times and love their food.

We split the Perogies for an appetizer and loved them so much I'll try to make something similar later this week.  Amanda had the Sweet Potato Quesadilla which I've ordered a few times and highly recommend.  It's delicious.   I ordered the I Can't Believe It's Not An Egg Salad Sandwich and I couldn't believe it wasn't egg salad.  It was also delicious. I'm amazed what you can do with nuts and veggies.

Then, even though we were full, when the waitress asked us if we were interested in dessert, we broke down and ordered the Pomegranate Cheesecake (I wanted the pumpkin, but was being a good mom since this was what lit up Amanda's eyes).  It was raw, vegan heaven.  No, it was cheesecake heaven. 

BORROWED EARTH'S POMEGRANATE CHEESECAKE




For anyone interested in trying raw foods, Borrowed Earth Cafe would be a fabulous introduction.  For seasoned raw foodists, you'll appreciate the quality and flavor.  For myself, it gives me a chance to try out different foods - prepared properly.  Now I know that I'm going to work on raw cheesecake recipes - quickly.  Here's a link to Borrowed Earth's website: http://bit.ly/UHNo

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for forwarding and G-d bless you for doing this for your health and livelihood! I'm sure with time and patience, you will feel great, full of energy, and be where you want to be. I read all of the posts and it seems some are more open to the concept than others.

    I'm new to the raw food scene and am much more aware of the organic movement and the SAD diet. You know that there's a direct link between "economic prosperity" and sloppy "convenient" mass produced eating habits? By some mindsets, some may say it's a necessity with the explosion of the world population, the giants of agriculture, and the corrupt farming subsidies. It's only within the past 100 years that our society can afford to eat meat daily and therefore corporate America needs to find a way to provide? There's no easy solution, but you are taking the right step. There are many interesting books at the library on the subject and many sub-cultures trying to make a difference. On facebook, I joined a group called "Food, Inc." that has interesting posts all the time. There's also a movie by the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, thanks for the words of encouragement. I understand that this is a funky way of eating to those of us who have grown up with the SAD. I thought so too when I first heard about raw food. But it makes so much sense to me now.

    The "Food, Inc." documentary is eye-opening. I think you'll also appreciate "Food Matters", which provides a different perspective on foods we eat and the impact on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw the food matters movie but did read the book a while ago and recall it being eye opening. Thanks to the link to the other movie.

    ReplyDelete